Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Chapel Faceplant of '07

So... I'm really good at embarassing myself, it's true. Today will go down in the annals of my life as one where I chalked up another "most embarrasing moment."

It all started in Chapel. (Si, en la Capilla, es verdad.) In the Wheat, Chapel always begins with the chiming of a bell five times and I hadn't quite made it to my seat when those bells started ringing. I reached my row and started scooting past all the kids just as the introductory speaker began to expound on the wonders of the urban setting. As I was doing a little fast-shuffle-scoot to my seat, I tripped over a backpack, innocently hanging out on the floor. My feet currently not in motion but the rest of my body very much still in motion, I ended up laying out over the next three (thankfully empty)seats. My face resting on a seat cushion, my upper body atop an arm rest, and my feet very much still hanging out behind me, I rolled onto the floor, tears streaming from my eyes, barely able to breathe because of the laughter bursting out. Yes, Mr. Introductory Speaker was still speaking. Yes, to an audience of 2000 plus quiet students. Yes, I was gasping for breath because I was laughing so hard. And yes, everyone behind, next to, and in front of me, was saying at once, "Are you okay??" I think they might have interpreted my tears of joy as tears of, well, pain.

Needless to say, I missed the introduction to Urban Issues. And my elbow is mysteriously sore. As well as one side of my face. I'm thinking they must be casualties of Chapel Faceplant of '07.

1 comment:

David Hepburn said...

That's....well, ...that's awesome. I officially approve. Although I definitely think it would've been better if the speaker had actually stopped to find out who was laughing at him.